Sunday, February 19, 2012

Blue Princess

Last Saturday morning Baby Girl presented me with a beautiful picture of a "Blue Princess."  I have been thinking about making dolls out of some of Baby Girl's drawings for awhile, so when I saw the Blue Princess I knew I needed to stop thinking about it and get to work!  

doll from child's drawin
Two weeks ago, as I was preparing a slide show for the drawing class I am teaching, I came across costume designs Picasso did for Stravinsky's ballet Pulcinella...yes, I have tendencies for distraction.  Having been a costume designer once upon a time, and having worked in the costume shop once upon the time, I amused myself with thinking about how it would be to translate Picasso's designs into reality.  This project brought me back to those musings.  I had so much fun translating Baby Girl's drawing into a 3-dimensional doll.  (Perhaps this is part of her Blue Period.)  It is quite freeing to create something that is not symmetrical, that has movement and a life of its own.  I love the way the Blue Princess took form.  Most importantly, Baby Girl loves her Blue Princess doll.  She has slept with her every night since Valentine's Day.  I am excited to try this process with some of her earlier drawings.  


handmade doll

2 comments: