Friday, October 28, 2011

Crochet Therapy

The Italian school system is different than the American school system in several ways; one being my second grader does not go to school all day, every day.  Three days a week he gets out of school before lunch.  On the “short days” he brings home homework, and lots of it.  Bouncing Boy and I STRUGGLED through homework last year, but over the summer I learned (they have tons of homework during the Summer, too) if I have something that keeps me busy, but not so busy I can’t be constantly interrupted, homework is so much less frustrating.  Crocheting proves to be just what we need to get the homework done.  Bouncing Boy can procrastinate all he wants and I don’t have to get all worked up about it. 
When school started I began two projects, one adult hat and scarf and one child’s hat.  The adult hat is another pattern from CrocheTrend.  This was my second pattern from CrocheTrend (see the first).  The directions are very clear, concise, and are accompanied by a great illustration.  The hat and scarf use a shell pattern.  This was my first time making shells, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Shells are just complicated enough that I didn’t get bored doing the same thing over and over again, but not so complicated they distracted me during the homework.  I think the hat and scarf turned out great and they more than likely will end up being a present for someone. 


The other project I began when school started was an owl hat from Crazy Socks Crochet, for Baby Girl.  She has a thing for owls.  This hat is mostly just single crochet stitches.  I actually had to do several redos on this hat.  Apparently during homework-crochet-therapy my stitches can get VERY tight.  So my first attempt at the hat was way too little.  The second go around I used a bigger hook.  Everything was going along pretty good until I got to the ear flaps; there I learned that apparently I can’t count.  So I had another redo.  Then I when I went to stitch the face on the owl I really should have gone out to the car to retrieve my pins, but I was being lazy.   Why would my pins be in the car you ask?  I taught a sewing class earlier in the day and didn’t unload the car.  So the face is a little off to one side, however, when the owl hat goes on Baby Girl’s head all I see is cuteness....


 ....and I forget about all the struggles I had and smile...how could you not smile.
  
Next up is a monster hat for Bouncing Boy!

5 comments:

  1. Cuteness indeed.
    I can totally relate to those stitches getting tight during homework time, and I don't crochet or knit. Hang in there.
    Strangely, M is not getting as much homework as last year. No complaints!

    See you soon.
    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up hiring someone to help Bear with his italiano homework once a week. Best decision ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your post in a random google search & I just wanted to stop by & say thanks for sharing my link. Your little one looks super cute in the owl hat!! :)
    Danyel (www.crazysockscrochet.com)

    ReplyDelete