Friday, August 5, 2011

Up Coming Classes for Halloween 2011

What is an x-costume designer's favorite time of year?  ....Halloween, of course!  This is my second Halloween teaching classes at the Arts and Crafts Center and last year we had so much FUN!  Samples will be hang soon in the Arts and Crafts Center's window, but in the meantime I have had some inquires as to what exactly we will be making in class.  Here are pictures of last year's samples and a little description about what to expect from each class.  


September 7th and 14th: “Super Capes and Masks” 
Time:  9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m
Cost: $30 (plus additional materials; list provided at the Arts and Crafts Center)


This was a great class last year, we ended up running two sessions.  This year I have a lovely lady bug cape and mask, and a super spooky bat cape and mask that will soon be hanging in the Arts and Crafts Center window along with the traditional Super Cape!  We will begin the first session designing masks, so it is a good idea to come to class with the beginnings of a design in mind.  I provide patterns for all of the sample masks, as well as the basic mask shape for you to create a design of your own.  The second session will be devoted to the cape and finishing the mask.  This class was designed as a beginning sewing project.


 September 21st  and  28th: “Little Critter Costume”
  Time: 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
  Cost: $30 (plus additional materials; list provided at the Arts and Crafts Center)


I taught last year during the winter, but I am offering it this year at Halloween.  I think these hats make a great costume pieces.  My children loved wearing them all winter, and we still have days, even in the heat of the summer, where they use the hats and tails for some pretend play fun.   My daughter loves to wear the cat hat and tail with a pretty skirt and pretend she is Hello Kitty.  I have patterns for a bear, pig, cat, dinosaur and monkey, but please feel free to be creative!  If you have a different animal in mind we can work together to create it! I think these make wonderful costumes for very young children and infants as they can be paired with comfortable clothing and are not overly cumbersome.     The bonus to this class is learning how to use the "stretch stitch" on the sewing machine, which makes sewing fleece so much easier!


October 5th  and 12th: “No-sew Tutu, Fairy Wand, and Wings”
  Time: 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
  Cost: $30 (plus additional materials; list provided at the Arts and Crafts Center)


A very fun and popular class last year, there is so much room for creativity!  The wings are made of craft foam and have proven to be very durable.  The purple pair pictured below I made two years ago and they are played with on a regular basis, in fact yesterday they were on one of my daughter's baby dolls while she was wearing the pink pair.   The wings require no sewing, and the only sewing on the tutu is the optional leaves and petals.  Hot gluing is required, so bring your tough skin!  



October 19th: “Halloween Candy Bag”
  Time: 9:30 a.m. – Noon
  Cost: $25 (plus additional materials; list provided at the Arts and Crafts Center)


This is the only project I am totally revamping.  I love this bag and so do my children, but there was much frustration last year with my beginning sewing students with all of the gathering that is required for the bag.  The pattern for this bag will be available on my Etsy site.  The NEW and improved Halloween candy bag will be a simpler design and making its debut in the Arts and Crafts window very soon!





5 comments:

  1. Only the bestest holiday ever. I already have some of my Halloween decorations up. I do that every August. Although, then we have Halloween stuff that stays up year round, as well.

    Love it. Love it. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I love Halloween and here in Italy we get bonus Halloween, better known as Carnivale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to work craft show after craft show nearly every weekend, with the same crafters and after awhile, we felt like carnies.

    Do you decorate inside for Halloween? I have these fantastic Halloween curtains up now around Tim's desk. This weekend I have to do the orange lights.

    So fun.

    PS: How are you liking blogging?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the blogging, though I wish I had more time for it. I do decorate inside. My mom sent me all of these great paper Halloween cut outs from the late 70's early 80's. Last year I made some Halloween pillows for the couch. The year before I added a pumpkin tea pot to the Halloween collection. So so many fun things.
    Are you going to do craft shows again with the blankets?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your decorations sound fantastic. I'll do a post of Tim's desk when the lights are up.

    Glad you like blogging. It can be a time suck. For me, I just do it whenever. Though some follow a schedule, I like to have fun with it and not make it a job.

    No more shows for us. We did them for five or six years and that was enough.

    When it was good, it was good, but when it got bad, it really stunk. Just going to do the Etsy site to sell off what we have. Though I am finding some pretty groovy prints for Miss Wiggy's blankets.

    So down the line, I might not mind selling doggy blankets and treats. We'll see. First I gotta sell some of these off.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete