Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Bag the Basics


            My latest class at the Arts Center was "Bag the Basics."  I designed the class almost a year ago, but this was the first time actually teaching it.  It was designed as a comprehensive basic sewing class, including zippers and buttons.  I originally planned the class as a 4 week class, but it is always difficult to tell how long a project will take in the classroom, especially the first time.  The class turned out to be 6 weeks in long.   I thoroughly enjoyed teaching the class and was delighted with what each of the students added to the class.  


     The project I ended up calling, the "Everything Bag," because of it's versatility.  I've made several now.  I gave one to a good friend back in the States.  She carries her little laptop and school books inside.  The one I carry often holds a sketchbook,  various toys, and snacks.  Though my children are older now it would easily hold a diaper or two and a change of little people clothes.  There are pockets on both the front and the back as well as 2 inside pockets.  The front pocket is held closed with a button.  One of the inside pockets is designed to hold writing utensils and a cell phone.  The top zips closed.  
            This project offered lots of learning opportunities for the beginning sewer.   Students learned, straight stitching, topstitching, sewing pleats, and how to sew on a curve.  Though my students had different levels of experience I believe this was the first time for zippers and button holes for most of them.   There were certainly challenges, but I think all of the students were pleased with their finished projects!  Here are the pictures of my students with their finished bags.







            

I posted the pattern on my Etsy site today.   I am hoping to teach the same class again this summer.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I bet it feels really good to share your talents that way. All those women look so happy with their bags. I bet they are really happy when people compliment them on their purses, and they can say, "Thanks. I made it!" Great job, Daisey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could take a class from you...I bet I'd learn a lot too! I love the design - and the neat fabrics everyone chose!

    ReplyDelete